PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE - Hello Kansas City Missouri Pilots and All of You who partake in our Aviation Community. In case you haven’t noticed, Mother Nature has changed the trees’ colors, as well as their tune with the wind blowing through them. It has been a beautiful fall, yes! *** Missouri Pilots Association 2006 Convention. We keep talking about this year’s theme as well as its designer. One of our own Kansas City Chapter members, namely Mr. Mike Douglas, carries the honor of designing the logo as well as producing the theme for the convention. As each and everyone us know, we enjoy aviation as well as all the people who form this unique society. We’re derived from simple people in flying, to the most complex humans that have walked on the surface of the moon. One thing that we all share is the passion for aviation and everything that goes along with this hobby or profession. So with this, Mike came up with a very simple while also complex theme: “Living the Passion” The logo for this is a paper airplane that presents itself with a certain degree of grace and beauty that only we Aviation Enthusiast can understand. Now everyone knows what the board members have been working towards. On behalf of the officers and board, we would like to extend our personal thanks to Mike. An inside thought and feeling expressed outward. Nice job, Mike!! *** The Christmas Dinner has been set!!!! Mark your calendars for December 28th 2005 @ 6:30 PM until 8:30 PM. We are going to the Argosy Casino, 777 NW Argosy Parkway Riverside, Missouri 64150. 816-746-3100. We have the Tuscany Room reserved, so there won’t be any waiting in lines. The main course is going to be Prime Rib and Crab Legs. Please make your reservations with Terrie Jo Fox by mailing your check for $22.00 per person to 3724 Stanton, Lee’s Summit, MO 64064. The checks need to be made out to the KC Chapter MPA. If you would like to participate in the gift exchange, mark your gift: “Man, Woman or Generic.” Try to keep your expense to around $10.00. *** Next month’s speakers are two of the National Air Race participants: Get yourselves a spot and come listen to these very exciting stories about the Air Races from our own Jeanné Willerth and Debbie Bertram. They have a power point presentation and lots of personal experiences that they plan to share with the group. I would like to see a minimum of 40 or 50 of us there to show our support for their program. We don’t pay these folks to come and talk to us, they come because they want to share their joy, pain, safety concerns and some of what it takes, just to be accepted into this National Air Race. It not only takes skill to get an entry for this event, it takes everything you have to fly this type of race. Call in your reservation and come see them talk on November 16th, 2005 @ 6:00 PM at the DAV. *** For all of you who have worked so very hard on the 2006 Convention, I extend my personal thanks, and I believe that we have a wonderful agenda at hand. I can hardly wait for Spring 2006 to get here, and Winter hasn’t even arrived. Whatever weather you enjoy, I hope you have that experience! Respectfully, Marvin Moore.
MPA BOARD MEETING ITEMS
- Meeting was called to order by President Marvin Moore at 7:00pm, November 1, 2005.
- Treasurer’s report by Terrie Jo Fox, check book balanced and report was approved.
- Next fly out is to Topeka, KS on November 19th, Phillip Billard Airport.
- Committees reported on all activities and things are moving along as expected.
- Remember fund raiser for cancer victims.
- Gary Fox reported on monthly state meeting in Columbia, MO.
- Jeanné Willerth and Debbie Bertram will be speakers at next DAV meeting to give an overview of the 2005 Air Race Classic. Should be most interesting and informative.
- Meeting was adjourned by Marvin Moore, President at 8:45pm.
- Don’t forget the next DAV meeting this month on Wednesday, the 16th, a week early. Jan Handley
KANSAS CITY CHAPTER
MISSOURI PILOTS ASSOCIATION
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
TUESDAY, NOV. 1, 2005
EXECUTIVE BEECH CONFERENCE ROOM
President, Marvin Moore; Vice President, Gary Fox; Secretary, Jan Handley; Treasurer, Terrie Jo Fox; Past President, Earlene McClure; Directors: Sarah McKinley, Ralph Schmude, Al St. Germain; Safety, Penrod Turk; Membership, Chuck Wright; Member, Barbara Turk.
- Marvin Moore, President, called the meeting to order @ 7:00pm
- Terrie Jo Fox, Treasures Report
- Add hats given to speakers to expense from meeting @ DAV.
- Al St. Germain received check for $125.00 for printing and mailing costs.
- Terrie Jo submitted a written treasurer report. Check book balances to the penny. A motion was made to approve the report which was seconded. Motion carried to approve report.
- John Ohrazda asked for a card with chapter logo to give to new people to the area. The card would allow one free meal @ MPA meeting, compliments of Lee’s Summit Airport. Card should have contact information for MPA.
- Sam Graves for possible convention speaker. Marvin suggested that any information on all committees should be passed thru committee chairs to avoid confusion.
- Next fly out on Nov. 19th @ Topeka, KS, Phillip Billard Airport.
- Christmas dinner will be checked on for Dec. 28th.
- Precision Team from CMSU attended at DAV meeting last Wednesday.
- Hotel Planning Committee is finished.
- Meal Planning Committee continues to discuss meals and menus. Suggestions were made and there was a request to not have something that had to be sawed. It was suggested that meals should reflect a Kansas City flavor.
- Tours Committee suggested several possible tours to choose from; Truman Library and Home, National Trails Museum; Steamboat Arabia; Hallmark Cards, Crown Center, Union Station.
- Jan Handley will check on availability and cost for Sunset Tours Bus Company to provide buses. Contact person is Ron Zimmerman.
- Marvin Moore asked the committees if we needed a web domain for our convention.
- Registration Committee suggested items to improve and streamline registration. Marvin brought up the idea of having a web domain for our convention where interested parties could register, pay and find out information on convention. Also it was suggested that our convention and logo should be there as well. More discussion is needed for possible domain. Do we need a link that is accessible on the State MPA web site?
- Safety Committee reported that MoDot Aviation Director Joe Presca could speak on safety. Safety seminar is required for State Convention. Committee will talk to Mike Douglas @ CMSU for possible contacts on seminar presenters.
- Hospitality Room Committee is finished.
- Guest Speaker Committee reported on Sam Graves as speaker for convention. Earlene and Sarah both talked to Mr. Graves’ office on scheduling. They will give information to Committee chair for further research. It was also suggested that possible backup speakers should be researched in case Sam Graves can’t make it.
- Door Prize and Gift Committee reported on several possible ideas. Earlene brought an example of a possible gift. Motion was made for Al St. Germain to buy books from Whole Sale Club. Books were historical novels that would make great door prizes, Al should buy total of 10 books. Motion was seconded, motion carried. It was also suggested to have gifts/favors at dinner table for guests.
- Sponsorship Committee is continuing to research possible donors. Marvin reported that our goal is to get corporate sponsors donating $2500. It was also suggested to get “in kind” donations of $125 - $150. Linda Burgess is the contact person for Community America of Kansas City. Also CEO Dennis.
Other Convention suggestions
- There should be an Ed Duckworth memorial during the convention.
- Committees should raise their focus and continue to finish up as much as possible before spring.
- Remember fund raiser for cancer victims.
- Gary Fox reported on monthly state meeting in Columbia, Missouri. It was suggested that monthly meeting should be moved around to different parts of the state again. It gives others a chance to attend that normally wouldn’t make it because of location. The overall chapter membership is shrinking and something should be done to help improve membership numbers.
- Jeanné Willerth and Debbie Bertram will provide an overview of the 2005 Air Race Classic @ next DAV meeting.
Motion to adjourn meeting by Charlie and seconded by Al. Adjourned @ 8:45pm. Respectfully Submitted – Jan Handley